Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 16:26:32 +0300

> From: Tom Tromey <address@hidden>
> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 18:29:37 -0600
>
> That said I don't think it is a very important issue, I think primarily
> because interested users can port the JIT as needed.

Only if they are _very_ interested, and have the knowledge/talent to
do that.

> Eli> That doesn't mean we want to have predictably bad performance, but it
> Eli> does mean that we should choose our JIT library so that it doesn't
> Eli> suffer from such issues.
>
> There is no JIT library that supports everything.

OK, let me rephrase: we should choose our JIT library so that it
suffers as little as possible from such issues.

> So, if this is the idea, then I fear Emacs will never have a JIT.

I don't think this is the idea.  I think the idea is to strive to
support as many popular platforms as we can.

> Now, one thing that is portable is compiling Emacs Lisp code to C.

That again needs a compiler and Binutils, so it suffers from the same
drawback.