Re: New warnings on emacs-26 branch with gcc 8.2.0

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: New warnings on emacs-26 branch with gcc 8.2.0
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 16:53:43 +0100

On Sat 11 Aug 2018, Paul Eggert wrote:

> Andy Moreton wrote:
>> Given how many source files are involved, for emacs-26 the simplest
>> thing is simply to disable -Wcast-function-type in configure.ac.
>>
>> For master we can leave the warning enabled if the GetProcAddress calls
>> can be fixed to pacify the warning.
>
> If we disable the warning at all, we should do so only in the files that need
> it, as the warning is typically useful.

I have posted a patch for master to pacify gcc:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-08/msg00451.html

Eli has indicated that something like this is too intrusive for emacs-26:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-08/msg00351.html

I agree that the warning is useful, but only if genuine warnings are
visible amid a large number of false positives.

    AndyM