Re: GTK interface modification

From: DJ Stauffer
Subject: Re: GTK interface modification
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 01:35:04 -0500

On 08/14/2018 03:17 AM, Yuri Khan wrote:
On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 6:15 AM DJ Stauffer <address@hidden> wrote:

There is a modification I would like to make to Emacs' GTK interface.  I
have tried a number of solutions to give myself a visual cue as to which
window in a frame is selected, including changing the color of the
non-selected windows' backgrounds, changes to the powerline colors,
etc.
This made me think how I know which frame and window is selected. In
my case, the active frame has a colored title bar while an inactive
frame’s title bar is gray; and the most prominent feature that
distinguishes the selected window for me is the blinking cursor.

How visible is your cursor?

Yeah,  the powerline changes in my setup to indicate the current window, and the cursor is set to block mode, so it is about as visible as I'd want it.  Currently I use autodim mode to change the background color of the non-selected windows to a grayish version of my normal background color.  That works OK, but as a result, it is not as pleasant to read from those windows when I need to.  I would prefer to have the non-selected windows have the same background color so that syntax highlighting looks the same in all windows. Without autodim enabled, it is still not always immediately obvious what the current window is.  The cursor/powerline changes are not enough to make it obvious 100% of the time (at least, not without having to think about it -- and the point is I *don't* want to have to think about it).