GTK interface modification

From: DJ Stauffer
Subject: GTK interface modification
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 18:14:14 -0500

Hello.

There is a modification I would like to make to Emacs' GTK interface.  I have tried a number of solutions to give myself a visual cue as to which window in a frame is selected, including changing the color of the non-selected windows' backgrounds, changes to the powerline colors, etc.  However, I have not found any of this solutions to be satisfactory, and occasionally I will still start typing text intended for one window when a different window is actually selected.

What I'd like to do is put a one or two pixel border (of whatever color I configure, naturally) around the outer edge of the window, to indicate that the window is selected.

I have also tried just changing the background color of the fringes, but I was unhappy with the results of that also, and would really prefer a border around the whole outer edge of the window.

So, I'm looking for suggestions as to where to start.  I realize the C code, in particular, the display code is far from simple, but I am willing to give it a try.  If anyone has any pointers/recommendations on how to accomplish this, I would very much appreciate it.

DJ