Re: New warnings on emacs-26 branch with gcc 8.2.0

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: New warnings on emacs-26 branch with gcc 8.2.0
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 14:58:11 -0700

Andy Moreton wrote:
I was hoping you could provide more background, as you are are shown as
the most recent committer of almost every line of configure.ac related
to warnings.

Yes, I adapt this stuff for Emacs. However, it sounds like the part you want changed comes from a part of Gnulib that I do not know as well.

Is this problem arising from use of the gnulib manywarnings module ? If
so, why do we use it and not the simpler gnuslib warnings module ?

The warnings module would require the hand-maintained Emacs source code to list the exact set of warnings that it wants, which would be a pain to maintain as the set commonly changes after each GCC release. The manywarnings module maintains such a list for us, which is simpler for Emacs proper (and allows us to share this mutating list among several GNU projects). The Emacs configure.ac tailors the Gnulib list a bit, but mostly leaves it alone; this is simpler for Emacs than maintaining its own sort-of-copy of the list by hand.