Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2018 12:54:07 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> > But "C-x &" affects just the next command, so all you need is for it
>> > to produce a boolean value, and have the next command work
>> > asynchronously or not according to that value.  Which probably means
>> > "C-x &" should not bind find-file-asynchronously, but some other
>> > variable, and that variable had better had a name that is not limited
>> > to file operations, for us to be able to use it with other commands.
>> > Because once we extend "C-x &" to non-file commands, it will not
>> > "know" what command will be invoked after it, so it won't be able to
>> > know it should bind find-file-asynchronously or something else.  It
>> > should therefore bind a variable which affects any command.
>>
>> Nobody hinders us to bind several variables in
>> universal-async-argument.
>
> If that produces expected results in practice, that'd be fine, yes.

I've slept another night over this, and I believe you are right. I've
pushed a patch to the branch, that the universal-async-argument function
toggles the universal-async-argument variable, and binds it before
calling the following command. This is more general, and other commands
but the file visiting ones would profit also from this mechanism w/o
touching universal-async-argument, again.

This needs to be documented better in the Elisp manual, but first we
shall agree how to call this technique. "Prefix argument" is out of the
game. Maybe "prefix command"? Or "prefix sequence", as proposed in this
thread?

Best regards, Michael.