mercurial, commit msg after merge and vc-dir a problem/feature proposal

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: mercurial, commit msg after merge and vc-dir a problem/feature proposal
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2018 10:34:43 +0200

Hi

In a nutshell, could the emacs vc interface please support to commit
after a merge?

Background

In mercurial after a merge of two (named) branch one cannot run

 hg commit -m 'merge from live' files1.txt files2.txt

abort: cannot partially commit a merge (do not specify files or
patterns)

But must do instead

hg commit -m 'merge from live'

Now the point is I would like to use the vc emacs interface for the
commit since I want to insert parts of the ChangeLog file.

Now if I use vc-dir, the corresponding command finally execute
 hg commit -m 'merge from live' files1.txt files2.txt

Since I obtain the error:

abort: cannot partially commit a merge (do not specify files or
patterns)

I can of course do also
define me mercurial alias
mycommit = !TMP=$($HG root) $HG commit "$@"

And run from the command line
 hg mycommit

And emacs pops up, but this is still now want I want.

Any suggestions?

Uwe Brauer