Re: tabulated-list sort icon is reversed

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: tabulated-list sort icon is reversed
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 00:00:34 +0200

> The sort icon in tabulated-list are opposite of what they should.

They show the direction in which the key's value increases.

Right, thanks for the explanation.

I think it's counter-intuitive. It's the first time I see this way of representing the sorting. Usually, the triangle is used as a representation of the position of where the largest element is.

See https://ux.stackexchange.com/a/38654 for a better explanation.

Here are examples to illustrate what I'm saying:

https://datatables.net/examples/basic_init/zero_configuration.html
https://i.stack.imgur.com/j6bkB.png
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B40099_02/books/Fundamentals/images/sort_ascending.png
https://i.stack.imgur.com/RLcug.png

Given that this issue is not a mistake but intended behavior it's difficult to decide what is the right path here. Maybe that the paradigm Emacs uses is the one that most Emacs users expect, so it's actually the right one? I'm pretty sure that most people used to GUIs with columns would think the arrows are oriented the wrong way, but I might be mistaken.

What do you reckon should be done, switch the direction or let it as it is now?

Philippe