Re: The netsec thread

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: The netsec thread
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 20:34:33 +0100

On Mon 23 Jul 2018, Andy Moreton wrote:

> On Mon 23 Jul 2018, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>
>> Andy Moreton <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> You have not understood what I meant: the existing code is buggy. It is
>>> supposed to allow the user to press a limited number of keys to decide
>>> what to do with the presented certificate. however if you press any
>>> other key, the NSM gets stuck and you have to quit with ^G to kill it.
>>
>> That sounds like a bug.  When I hit a different key it just says that
>> it's an invalid key and I can then hit the right key.
>>
>> Do you have a test case?
>
> I've seen this with gnus when reading blog articles from gmane.org,
> where the article has several images, and this in init.el:

After a bit more testing I find that gnus can still be provoked into
getting stuck on the emacs-26 branch:

 - delete ~/.emacs.d/network-security.data and restart emacs
 - start gnus, and enter group gwene.electronics.righto on
 news.gmane.org
 - read one or more articles which contain more than one image
 - NSM prompts for a certificate from *.googleusercontent.com (name
 varies)
 - NSM gets stuck and never seems to discard the unexpected keys.
   only quitting with ^G seems to fix it.

In further testing I cannot reproduce this on master, so hopefully the
problem is gone :-)

    AndyM