Re: bignum branch

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: bignum branch
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 11:34:09 -0700

Andy Moreton wrote:
The size of a GMP limb is irrelevant - it is the API for getting native
integer types into mpz_t values that cannot handle interger types wider
than long.

Wider mp_limb_t types improve efficiency, but do nothing about
correctness on LLP64 systems.

You're right, of course. It would be helpful to have that two-line change anyway, for performance reasons on 32-bit systems; however, Eli seems to be thinking that we shouldn't worry much about performance on these obsolescent systems and I'm becoming more inclined to agree.