Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 16:33:16 -0400

>> I wouldn't want to rely on such an automatic filename rewrite and text
>> refilling (it's OK for M-q to try and DTRT because I get to see the
>> result and fix it immediately): I'd feel obligated to tweak (a second
>> time) the result when the layout isn't quite to my liking.
> OK scratch refilling.  But the filename rewrite should be perfectly safe.

Filename rewrite means you change the length of one of the lines, hence
I'd again feel compelled to fix the layout when the result is not to
my liking.

I don't see why you'd need to use some awfully long file names only to
later fix them, even though you know what will be the proper final name
right from the start.

> Right.  But where would you record this information?  In the
> ~/.emacs.d/PseudoChangeLog file?

That wouldn't be my choice of filename, but sure, why not.

        Stefan