Re: Keybinding for finding definition by mouse

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Keybinding for finding definition by mouse
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 19:16:54 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Tobias Gerdin <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 22:40:33 +0200
>
> > I'm also not convinced many people will want such a binding, as most
> > of us use the keyboard for these commands.
> Could this not partly be because up until now Emacs didn't supply such
> commands? (although as of the CEDET merge there is actually
> 'semantic-ia-fast-mouse-jump' but since Emacs went in the xref direction
> I suspect few make use of it).
>
> And whether it is in one's interest to use the keyboard or the mouse for
> these kind of commands is still is an open question (among others, see
> [1]). My observation from co-workers seems to indicate that using the
> mouse for this kind of functionality is very common and I think having a
> default binding would improve its discoverability (although I am aware
> that this is hardly an area of focus in Emacs).
> > So I think we should leave this unbound by default, at least for now,
> > and rely on people who want this on a mouse click to make their local
> > changes.
> Unless any of the above makes you reconsider I will not argue against
> this. I have submitted a pull request for similar kind of functionality
> to CIDER ([2]) where we have decided to add a default binding along with
> it so I was hoping to harmonize these with Emacs' xref (which CIDER
> doesn't make use of at the moment), but CIDER being out-of-tree there is
> obviously more leeway.

Thanks.  I'd prefer to let people use the new command with their
private bindings, before we make a default binding for it.  IME, these
matters are best discussed with some experience behind us, and we
don't yet have such an experience.  Binding a command to a mouse
gesture of one's liking is a simple matter, so I don't think we
inconvenience too much users who'd like to use this new feature.