Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 23:37:20 -0600

>> I still haven't looked at using the mpn_ API.

Paul> We need to do that before installing this in master, as Emacs must be
Paul> in charge of bignum storage allocation. But it isn't needed for a
Paul> first cut.

I looked into this a little.

The mpn API seems very hard to use.  Using it would mean reimplementing
many of the functions provided by GMP.

On the other hand, I see that Guile is using the mpz API.  So, maybe in
practice it is safe enough to just set custom allocation functions and
let them throw.

Tom