Re: "Point" vs. "cursor" in documentation

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: "Point" vs. "cursor" in documentation
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 16:16:07 -0400

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 10:38 AM Jean-Christophe Helary
<address@hidden> wrote:
> From the Introduction to Emacs Lisp:
>
> "In Emacs, the current position of the cursor is called point. The expression
> (point) returns a number that tells you where the cursor is located as a
> count of the number of characters from the beginning of the buffer up to
> point."

Historical note:  Emacs did not invent this terminology.  When I used
TECO commands were explained / defined in terms of "point".  For all I
know TECO may in turn have inherited that terminology from even
earlier editors (c.f. MIT's ITS or its PDP-1).

/john