Re: `interactive-form` symbol property

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: `interactive-form` symbol property
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 18:40:48 +0300

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> +If you wish to override a primitive interactive specification, just
>>> +set the @code{interactive-form} property of the primitive function's
>>> +symbol (@pxref{Using Interactive}).  There is no need to edit C code
>>> +and recompile Emacs.
>> You can also use advice-add for the same purpose (it's more
>> complicated, but it's arguably better behaved).
>
> And a quick search seems to indicate that this `interactive-form`
> property is not used anywhere (not within Emacs, not within GNU ELPA,
> and not within the few other Elisp packages I had lying around for
> a quick search).
>
> Maybe, rather than document it, we should obsolete it?

FWIW, I use it in a handful of places in my user-init-file to avoid
copying the interactive spec of some command I'm mimicking.  As a poor
example, I've written a couple of commands akin to browse-url, whose
interactive-form I set to the value of (interactive-form 'browse-url).

This is obviously no reason to hold back on obsoleting the property, but
I'm still curious whether there's another way to be as lazy as I
currently am about copying interactive specs in this way.

--
Basil