Re: fine grained control of webkit browsing

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: fine grained control of webkit browsing
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 19:26:40 -0400

  > > In what computer does that JavaScript program get executed?

  > Inside the same Emacs process on the same machine. WebKit is linked
  > in to Emacs and controls a window. JavaScript is being injected by
  > elisp into the WebKit instance to control it.

  > > Why use JavaScript here?

Now that I see the architecture, I conclude that using JavaScript this way
is not an ethical problem.  It's free code in a program the user installs, so
ethically it's as good as any other free code in a program the user installs.

We could perhaps expose the interface to Lisp by defining Lisp functions
that work by sending JavaScript code.  Somewhat inelegant in implementation,
but that might not matter to Lisp programs that use these functions.

--
Dr Richard Stallman