tramp doesn't work for me in 26.1 but does in 25.3

From: Kevin Layer
Subject: tramp doesn't work for me in 26.1 but does in 25.3
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 15:33:41 -0700

Same .emacs.  I'd like to debug it, but I've spent 30 minutes looking through tramp.el (in 26.1) and comparing various variables, side by side, in 26.1 and 25.3.  No diffs, so far.

When I C-x C-f /machinename:/dir TAB I get nothing.  I do (require 'tramp) and in 25.3 when it starts up I see various messages in the minibuffer:

Tramp: Opening connection for rick using scp...
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec ssh   -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='address@hidden:%p' -o ControlPersist=no -e none rick’
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘rick’
Tramp: Opening connection for rick using scp...done

On 26.1 I see none of these (even looking through *Messages*).

tramp-default-method is the same in both versions (scp).

Ideas?  Thanks.