Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 938d252 4/4: Make regex matching reentrant; up

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 938d252 4/4: Make regex matching reentrant; update syntax during match
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 11:04:55 -0700

On 06/19/2018 09:54 AM, John Wiegley wrote:
If we do find a problem with it, how long will it take before the fix we need
is propagated everywhere it needs to go?

It shouldn't take much time at all to propagate Emacs-related regex changes back to Gnulib, which is commonly used by GNU applications like 'grep' so that they can assume the same regex API everywhere. It would take more time to propagate the changes back into Glibc, but the distance between Gnulib regex and Glibc regex is relatively small (it's way less than the distance between Emacs regex and Glibc regex) and it's feasible to do that propagation (mostly, this means to jump the Glibc bureaucratic hurdles).