Re: regex.c simplification

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: regex.c simplification
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 19:55:42 +0300

> Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 09:42:37 -0700
> From: "Daniel Colascione" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> > The emacs regex code is hardly state of the art. I would suggest that
> > there are many other, better, free software implementations of
> > regexes.
>
> There are. Unfortunately, none of them understand predicates like \= and \s|.

Right.  And there are a few more features important to Emacs that
other implementations don't support.

So, while I think modernizing our regex code would be a welcome
development, we shouldn't mislead ourselves into thinking that any
other implementation could be a drop-in replacement.  Some work will
be needed to add the features we expect.