Re: rar 7z for dired-compress-file-suffixes and dired-compress-files-ali

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: rar 7z for dired-compress-file-suffixes and dired-compress-files-alist
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 17:58:17 +0200

>>> "Eli" == Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

   >> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
   >> Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 17:09:36 +0200
   >>
   >> I have set these variables for me in order to support these formats
   >> (provided that the relevant rar and 7z programs are installed)
   >> accordingly and I could provide a patch. But I would like to know,
   >> whether there are copyright issues, when adding these external programs.

   > Yes, AFAIK the full-featured versions that run on Windows are not Free
   > Software, and the Free variants are not capable of opening archives
   > one finds nowadays.

   > But I think you could use bsdtar (from libarchive) which is Free
   > Software, at least for 7z.  (I never tried, so I don't know how
   > capable it is.)

I tested the free tools (on Ubuntu 16.06) which generated and extracted
rar abd 7z files. I did not test their compatibility with the latest
version on windows.

Bsdtar indeed openes these formats as well, but as far as I can see,
does not generate these formats.

So it seems, that given the difficulties concerning technical and
copyright issues, that these formats should not be added officially.