Re: Blink Cursor mode is off by default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Blink Cursor mode is off by default
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 11:24:01 -0400

>> Why not? Now I can have the entire configuration loaded before the
>> first  frame is created. It looks clean.

Agreed.  I used to have a local hack that caused the .emacs to be read
before creating the initial frame, so now I can finally drop this hack.

> Clean, but unsafe, as important parts of startup has not yet
> been done.  E.g., anything related to fonts or faces will probably
> not work reliably at that point.

Some things won't work, of course, but it's not new: the same problems
affect ~/.emacs when Emacs is run as a daemon.

> There's a reason why we read the user init file at some specific
> place and not before.

There are advantages to using ~/.emacs (e.g. emacs --debug-init drops
you in the debugger instead of dumping a stack trace), but it's not
universally superior.

        Stefan