Re: Resuming M-x gitmerge

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: Resuming M-x gitmerge
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 08:40:21 -0400

On 11 June 2018 at 02:54, João Távora <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2018, 03:38 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > From: Noam Postavsky <address@hidden>
>> > Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 19:54:58 -0400
>> > Cc: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
>> >
>> > When M-x gitmerge hits a conflict, it shows a window with the message:
>> >
>> >     Resolve the conflicts manually, then run gitmerge again.
>> >     Note:
>> >       - You don't have to add resolved files or commit the merge
>> > yourself (but you can).

>> > The first note is either wrong, or I'm misunderstanding it.  If I don't
>> > 'git add' the resolved files and commit the merge, then trying to run
>> > M-x gitmerge again fails with (user-error "Repository is not clean").
>>
>> I was under the impression that resolving conflicts and saving the
>> modified files automatically runs "git add" on the files.
>

> It does. Sometimes, but not always. I've never figured out the conditions
> that lead to each situation. I'm not using M-x gitmerge btw, just regular
> smerge.

I think it's a new (default?) behaviour change in smerge-mode as of
Emacs 25. Anyway, it doesn't matter for M-x gitmerge, because
gitmerge-repo-clean checks for both staged and unstaged changes.
Therefore it seems that you *must* "add resolved files and commit the
merge yourself" in order to proceed.