Re: Emacs Hangs on Filesystem Operations on Stale NFS

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Re: Emacs Hangs on Filesystem Operations on Stale NFS
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 14:03:15 +0200

On 2018-06-11 13:01, Andreas Schwab wrote:
On Jun 11 2018, Alexander Shukaev <address@hidden> wrote:

I initiated a discussion back in 2015 [1] about fragility of Emacs in terms of filesystem operations on stale NFS. No solution actually came out of this discussion. I still find this issue very disruptive. Yet
another example would be `recentf-cleanup' which is in my case
triggered
on Emacs start up, when the file comes from stale NFS, the
corresponding
`file-readable-p' down the stack will hang indefinitely, and there
would
be no way to unfreeze it apart from issuing 'kill -9' to that Emacs
instance. Don't you people find it unacceptable for the daily usage?

How is that a bug in Emacs if you have stale NFS mounts?

Andreas.

I didn't find a word "bug" in that quote. I'd rather call it a robustness enhancement. By the way, I guess you just don't realize how easy it is to
run into that situation on daily basis.

Is it?  Looks like you have an unreliable NFS server, but that's hardly
Emacs' problem.  I have no problem with $HOME on NFS.

Andreas.

Andreas, please let's finish that pointless thread branch. I know what are you getting at but this has nothing to do with the fact that Emacs is fragile to external hang issues. I'm very glad that you have reliable NFS server but the problem in my case has a completely different origin. It's like you're jumping out of your skin to turn that feature proposal down, while I see no valid reasons for your defensive stance given that weak argumentation.