Re: sql.el MariaDB support

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: Re: sql.el MariaDB support
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 13:16:20 -0400

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On June 6, 2018 10:53 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> ​​
> > From: Robert Cochran address@hidden
> > Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 20:07:50 -0700
> >
> > I've decided that I want to spend a little bit of time improving the
> > MariaDB support in sql.el to make a nicer experience, namely changing
> > the prompt regexps so that the prompts will actually show up without
> > having to fiddle with sql-prompt-regexp.
> > What I'm not so sure about, and thus asking here, is whether or not to
> > put the MariaDB changes in with the MySQL product? MariaDB is still a
> > drop-in replacement for MySQL AFAIK, so in my mind it wouldn't be
> > unreasonable to lump those two together as a single product. But I'm not
> > well-versed on what doing that may imply.
> > TBH, I'd rather lump them together, as really all I'm intending to do is
> > modify the continuation prompt regexps to work for either database, and
> > making a whole separate MariaDB product would be overkill in my mind.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I hope Micheal (CC'ed) will have comments on your proposal.

Great idea! My recommendation is to create a new sql product/dialect akin
to mysql in sql.el and either reuse the mysql settings/variables where
appropriate, or create defvaralias's for the mariadb variables pointing back
to the mysql variables.

That is, reuse the font-locking and login setup, but override the prompt string.

I'd also encourage you to update the shared font-lock settings to get it
up-to-date with the latest features. It's been a very long time since I used
MySQL so there is some bit-rot there.

Feel free to contact me with additional questions, and Happy Hacking!

PS. If you haven't already, I'd look into getting your copyright paperwork
done so that the Emacs project can easily accept your patches.
​--
address@hidden // FSF and EFF member // GNU Emacs sql.el maintainer​