[OFFTOPIC] Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Microsoft buys GitHub
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 09:32:08 -0400

>   > I know people have been scarred by the protracted fight of the Windows
>   > world against the Free world, but really Microsoft is probably no worse
>   > than the majority of other companies nowadays.
> That's because the general standard of ethics has been getting ever
> lower in the computing field.

I find it hard to remember exactly how ethical standards were in order
to judge if they have truly gotten worse, but they sure aren't flying
very high these days.

My point was only in response to the general reaction I perceive (along
the lines of "OMG Github has become evil"): I find it not obvious that
Microsoft's ownership will make Github noticeably worse.

I do wonder how this will impact Gitlab, tho: it seems like a fair
number of Github users feel compelled to move to Gitlab, which is good
publicity for Gitlab, but it will also increase their operating costs
(since I expect most of those users stick to the zero-cost hosting
service).

        Stefan "non-paying gitlab.com user"