Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Microsoft buys GitHub
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 17:46:30 -0400

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> My understanding from https://savannah.nongnu.org/register/ is that
> Savannah welcomes actual projects and not so much personal
> code / snippets / docs / configuration such as dotfiles.
>
> In this case, what would be the next best thing to host repositories
> such as dotfiles?  NotABug seems to be very much in line with the GNU
> ideology.

Right.  Indeed, aside from Savannah and for those purposes, among
hosted services NotABug seems to be the one most in line with the
free software movement and ideology that I'm aware of.

sr.ht is another free software solution, with some of its components
under the AGPLv3 and some under the MIT license.  Though currently
public registration is closed for the hosted version on sr.ht, you
can reach out to its maintainer and ask for an account if you like to
help with development or testing.

Of course, if you're able to, another option would be self-hosting
one of these pieces of software on your own server.

-amin