Re: Should this package be included into the NS port?

From: Ryan Thompson
Subject: Re: Should this package be included into the NS port?
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 09:45:03 -0700

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 4:40 PM George Plymale II <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm Cc'ing Ryan C. Thompson as well on this message in case
he'd like to chime in about his package.

Thanks,
- George Plymale II

Hello,

As before, I don't have much to add, as I'm not familiar with the internals of Emacs responsible for the underlying issue. But as I've said before, I'm perfectly happy to have my "pseudo-daemon" code incorporated into Emacs itself, and I have already signed the copyright assignment papers for a few small prior contributions to Emacs. If there is interest, I can rewrite my mode as a patch to Emacs rather than advice. One thing we should think about is what happens when my package is installed and enabled on an Emacs that also includes this behavior as a core feature. I believe that it shouldn't cause any problems, since only one or the other will ever activate, not both.

In practice, the main drawback to using this mode is that when the last existing frame is closed the new frame that it creates is briefly visible before being hidden. This isn't a major issue in general, but it could easily confuse people who don't know what's going on and make them think that a glitch has occurred. If anyone knows how to create a hidden frame without ever making it visible, I'd be happy to fix that.

Regards,

Ryan Thompson