Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 10:34:39 -0500 (CDT)

Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 08:07:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden>
Cc: Nicolas Petton <address@hidden>, Emacs Devel <address@hidden>

If there are specific package versions required, then they should be
listed in the installation documentation.

That'd be nice to have, but I'm not sure we have the resources to
provide an accurate list and keep it up to date.  All the other
projects I've built never provide such info, you have to "discover"
that by building and getting error messages that tell you what minimal
version is required.

But if someone wants to arrange such a list (in INSTALL, I think?), it
would be very welcome.

Developers should be cognizant of the packages they are requiring to be used.

It would be very helpful if configure specified what it is specifically looking for, and includes what it needs in the error message.

It seems that the new emacs silently quit last night while the screen was locked. I may need to retreat to the previous release (25.3).

Something else I notice is that when I open a file which is in a Mercurial repository, the /usr/bin/hg program crashes and I get an Ubuntu crash report. The Ubuntu crash report screen does not allow me to copy text from it, but the command executed which crashed starts with '/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/hg log -r . -l1 -template ...'. This does not happen with emacs-25.3. The crash is due to use of a None value. The version of Mercurial provided by this Ubuntu release is 2.8.2.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn