Re: string-to-unibyte in image-jpeg-p

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: string-to-unibyte in image-jpeg-p
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 15:51:06 -0400

>> > Maybe so, but I prefer Paul's way.  We should be very careful not to
>> > remove features hastily, without due heads-up to possible users.
>> We could remove it from master and see: if noone screams before the
>> release of 27.1 I think it'd be safe to say that it's indeed not used.
> That reminds me of an old joke: if you want to know whether a chip is
> in order, plug it into mains: if it explodes, it was in order.

FWIW I'm in favor of applying this principle fairly systematically, e.g.:
functions, vars, and packages declared obsolete in the previous release
should be completely disabled on the master branch (probably with
a mechanism to re-enable them individually, but this mechanism should be
somewhat costly/annoying to the user).  Otherwise it's too easy for package
authors to miss/ignore obsolescence warnings and then be "surprised"
when we finally remove the feature several years later.

        Stefan