Re: nXML mode maintenance and enhancement

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: nXML mode maintenance and enhancement
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 12:12:50 -0400

> 1. Make indentation in nXML mode compatible with that in the official
>    SGML mode, and in the unofficial PSGML mode; the latter indentation
>    styles are arguably more natural, and followed by projects like the
>    FreeBSD Documentation Project.  I had stumbled across this problem
>    recently, as in
>    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2018-05/msg00009.html

Yes, in general sharing more code between those modes would be great.
nXML's indentation algorithm is indeed one of its main weaknesses in
my experience.

> 2. Addition of features in PSGML mode, e.g,
> 3. Support for XInclude.
> 4. Provision of a facility similar to RefTeX for manipulating
>    cross-references in a modular document.

Yes, please!

> 5. Analogues of `LaTeX-fill-region' and friends from AUCTeX.

Not sure what this would do which the default fill-region wouldn't do
(once the indentation is improved)?

If I may add a personal wish: make it a bit more permissive with respect
to details of the header (or better help the user fix those headers) so
it's easier to use it for HTML5.

        Stefan