Off Topic (was: Should this package be included into the NS port?)

From: Van L
Subject: Off Topic (was: Should this package be included into the NS port?)
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 12:30:08 +1000

> Alan Third writes:
>
> Van L writes:
>>
>>> George Plymale II writes:
>>>
>>> in the NS port
>>
>> Can the Emacs 26.1 release document readme steps for likely best
>> results building your own NS port?
>
> What sort of thing do you have in mind?

Something to improve and explain the configure options specific to a great
experience on the platform. I use the following by ritural trial and error and
don’t know why. I couldn’t put the sicp.info file in /usr/share/info despite
su-ing and don’t know why.

  #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
    CC=clang ./configure \
        --disable-acl \
        --prefix="$HOME/2018/Applications" \
        --with-xpm \
        --with-jpeg \
        --with-tiff \
        --with-gif \
        --with-png \
        --with-xml2 \
        --with-imagemagick \
        --with-xft \
        --with-libotf \
        --with-ns \
        --with-zlib \
        --without-selinux \
        --without-gpm \
        --without-dbus \
        --without-gsettings \
        --without-libsystemd \
        --with-mailutils \
        --with-x \
        --with-x-toolkit="lucid" \
    #    --without-compress-install \
    #    --without-x \
    #    --disable-ns-self-contained \
    #    --without-gnutls \
    #    --with-modules \

  #+END_EXAMPLE

>> and mention the Mac port.
>
> Seems unlikely given it’s not part of GNU Emacs.

Detailing where and why Mac port does better than the GNU Emacs sets a target
to better.