Re: tramp inconsistent completion over default directory

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp inconsistent completion over default directory
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 18:25:39 +0200

Yuri D'Elia <address@hidden> writes:

> Not only the completion works, but you can open /-:remote: and it will
> load the home directory into dired.

For sure. This is another case; which doesn't need completion.

> Personally I'd love to being able to work without the extra "./" or "~/"
> (I find it redundant), but if it's ambiguous for the tramp syntax, then
> I'd prevent that to happen for consistency.

IIRC, we have done this because people have claimed that Tramp starts
completion when not intended yet. Time consuming. So we have decided
that we need a clear indication that the user want's completion. A slash
is such a sign.

(Well, it is a discussion from 10+ years ago. If I would be urged to
find the pointers, it would be real work ...)

Best regards, Michael.