Re: Any interest in making Emacs available on Flathub?

From: Joonas Sarajärvi
Subject: Re: Any interest in making Emacs available on Flathub?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 10:26:04 +0300

Hi,

Just to let you know, a pre-built copy of GNU Emacs is now available from the Flathub service [1]. Instructions for making use of this mechanism of distribution are available on that site.

The binaries and their corresponding source code are provided by the Flathub organization, based on the git repository at [2]. This git repository is currently maintained by me and Zach Oglesby. I think we are well resourced to keep Flathub offering a copy of Emacs that is up to date and works well, but it would still be great to have someone with a longer track record in Emacs development as collaborator.

When this distribution format was discussed earlier, the main concern seemed to be about making Emacs accidentally depend on proprietary software so I'll quickly address this.

Flatpak packaging tools are free software under LGPL-2.1 and available from package repositories of many popular GNU/Linux distributions

Emacs flatpak requires the org.freedesktop.Sdk runtime which is basically a GNU system compiled for Linux kernel, consisting of popular libraries like glibc, gtk+ and tools like the GNU compiler collection. The runtime includes a large set of software under various free software licenses. It is not yet well documented but based on discussion with its maintainers, no proprietary software is intentionally included in it.

Please let us know if there are problems
- Joonas

[1] https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnu.emacs
[2] https://github.com/flathub/org.gnu.emacs