Re: Improve the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual with intro sections

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Improve the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual with intro sections
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 10:04:48 +0900

On May 19, 2018, at 12:20, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

Could we make the Emacs Lisp Referene Manual more suitable
for programmers to learn Emacs Lisp by adding a few introductory
chapters?

That's an excellent suggestion. One of my best "introduction to Lisp for programmers" is ANSI Common Lisp by Paul Graham. He manages to give a pretty good idea of what Lisp development looks like with very clear examples and pointers to the CL reference.

Also, one of the things that I think is missing from the Introduction is exercises. There should be much more of them that help the user explore the possibilities of what has been learned. ANSI Common Lisp and SICP are both very good examples of what can be done in that regard.

Jean-Christophe Helary
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune