Re: [ELPA] New package: eglot

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: eglot
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 12:29:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 23:34:40 +0100
>>
>> I'd like to add Eglot, my new package, to GNU ELPA.
>>
>> Eglot, for Emacs Polyglot, is an Emacs client for the LSP, or Language
>> Server Protocol (https://microsoft.github.io/language-server-protocol/).
>
> FWIW, I think LSP support should be part of the core Emacs
> distribution, as it's an infrastructure necessary for modern support
> of programming modes.

It'd be great if eglot.el went into core, of course, and I'd welcome the
additional level of scrutiny that usually brings. However, if it does
come to that, and since Emacs 27 is reasonably distant, I'd like to keep
distributing for Emacs 26 and developing outside Emacs or in parallel
with it for at least some time.

> (I didn't yet look at the package, so if it has separate
> infrastructure and application levels, perhaps only the infrastructure
> layers should be in Emacs.)

Depends on where you draw the line, but if you really do want LSP to be
in core, then you need the full eglot.el, which has (almost) no
language-specific code. If you just want JSON-RPC support in Emacs (for
whichever other applications that might use it), then you only need a
part of eglot.el. Regardless of which parts make it into core, a
json-rpc.el could be easily be extracted out of eglot.el if it is deemed
useful.

João