Re: Rename, delete and move current buffer and file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Rename, delete and move current buffer and file
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 19:04:42 +0300

> Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 11:20:05 +0300
> From: Amit Ramon <address@hidden>
>
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> [2018-05-09 08:28 -0400]:
>
> >> I do not understand what you have in mind with write-file. This creates a
> >> copy, which is natural given the name. Do you envision some changes to it?
> >
> >Not sure what happened, but my first answer said:
> >
> >    so maybe we could instead have `C-x C-w` prompt the user
> >    "delete the old file (y or n)?"
>
> For me the use case for using C-x C-w is not to move a file, but to
> create a copy of a file leaving the original file untouched -- for
> example if I want to create a new file but I want to start from an
> existing one as a template.

Let me remind people that "C-x C-w" is the Emacs implementation of the
"Save As" paradigm, so it must stay as it is today.  It would be
possible to make it do something slightly different given an argument,
but it already accepts an argument and interprets it in a different
way.  Maybe we could do the renaming with some special value of the
argument, though.

But the default behavior should definitely stay, IMO.