Re: Zoom: a window management minor mode -- best practices and questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Zoom: a window management minor mode -- best practices and questions
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 20:52:46 +0300

> From: Andrea Cardaci <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 12:40:01 +0200
> Cc: martin rudalics <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> > I don't remember (perhaps Martin does).  But if you show a C-level
> > backtrace from such a call to buffer-list-update-hook, it will be easy
> > to say whether this is expected or not.
>
> Is there a simple way to dump a backtrace from Emacs?
>
> It's easy to reproduce tough:
>
> (defun foo ()
>   (message "buffer-list-update-hook"))
>
> (add-hook 'buffer-list-update-hook 'foo)
>
> then simply click in the selected window.
>
> Anyway according to the documentation this hook is called by
> `select-window` which is actually called if you click on a window,
> even if it is the selected one.

Yes, and the comments in select-window say that it's important it
moves the selected window's buffer to the front of various alists,
which is done by record_buffer.  So I guess this is a feature.  Maybe
we could be smarter, and avoid calling the hook if the buffer is
already at the front of those alists.