Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs

From: Emanuele Santoro
Subject: Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 20:56:04 +0200

On 21/04/2018 16:15, Siraphob (Ben) Phipathananunth wrote:
> What is the consensus on linking the GNU GMP library to Emacs so that
> packages such as Emacs Calc (and others) could benefit from using
> native types (i.e. "mpz_t") rather than reinventing the wheel?

My two cents: this should be added as optional feature and its presence,
if wanted/needed, should be enabled at compilation time.

Maybe in a few years we could see if it has been widely adopted and if
so make GNU GMP usage the default setting (and/or discard the old
implementation). This should allow a smoother transition.

Hope this helps,
--
Emanuele Santoro