RE: Split `simple.el'?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Split `simple.el'?
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 15:49:47 -0700 (PDT)

> > Could we maybe split `simple.el'?
> >
> > Because there are a few parts of it that contain odd characters,
> > when I visit it it takes almost 2 minutes (!) for it to finally
> > get displayed.  I rarely need to access those parts of the file
> > that are problematic - I typically just want to see the code for
> > some relatively common function.
> >
> > The file is also quite large.
> >
> > How about splitting it up, in particular, moving the parts that
> > use oddball chars to a different file?
>
> Shouldn't we rather fix your display issue?
> Which version of Emacs are you on?

Any version after 24.5 (e.g. 25-27).

In the past I was getting a lot of crashes in the same context,
but it seems that some bugs related to fonts got fixed or something.

The problem is apparently just that I have a lot of installed
fonts etc. and simple.el now contains chars that make the
font-search take a long time with a lot of fonts (or perhaps
with particular fonts, as for `char-displayable-p').

I (and others, AFAIK) see such slowdowns due to font stuff.
We've been through this many times, with Eli generally pointing
out what the problem is (fonts).  AFAIK, there's nothing to be
done here, apart from uninstalling fonts.

But, since you asked, there still is at least bug #30539,
which I would like to see fixed if possible.

I can work around that bug by setting variable
`inhibit-compacting-font-caches' to t.  But even if it is t
it takes 2.5 minutes or so for simple.el to show its text.

Anyway, besides my font-related slowdown, which I can live
with, `simple.el' is pretty large.  I thought perhaps it was
time anyway to split some of it off.  If not, so be it -
just a suggestion.  Does everything there belong there?