Re: Floating-point constant folding in Emacs byte compiler

From: Pip Cet
Subject: Re: Floating-point constant folding in Emacs byte compiler
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 10:56:25 +0000

I believe the currently-documented behavior is that it's undefined;
however, merely leaving it undefined doesn't make bytecode compilation
reproducible. To do that, right now, I redefine EQ to be true for
same-value floats. I'd prefer the byte compiler to be fixed
(unfortunately, flet-binding eq around the invocation of the byte
compiler isn't an option since byte-compiled code won't let you
redefine eq), but there appear to be several places where the
assumption is built into it, and I haven't found them all. The
half-fixed compiler generates obviously-suboptimal bytecode sequences
like "const X; const X;".

I think it makes sense to say that bytecode should be portable but not
necessarily identical between implementations, provided there's also a
way to canonicalize bytecode generation so the result is actually
target-independent (in the sense that if there are still bytecode
differences between targets, that's a bug in the Lisp code); I hope
redefining EQ is sufficient for that.