Re: Windows snapshot builds

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Windows snapshot builds
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 21:13:47 +0100

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Phillip,
>
> address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:
>
>> Inspired by the upcoming release of Emacs-26 RC1, I've released some
>> snapshots windows builds for Emacs-27.
>>
>> https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-27/
>
> Are you making the wonderful "*-deps-*.zip" packages?  If so thank you!

I am, although they are no the default -- "no-deps.zip" contain the ones
without.

> I recently convinced the nice IT admin to install Emacs on my Windows work
> PC on which I have zero fun rights.  So far, it has been working great in
> that it makes it somewhat bearable to use a Windows PC.
>
> If possible, I might humbly request three other dependencies be included
> in the future.
>
>   - zip.exe and unzip.exe (Info-Zip, I guess) are used when exporting ODT
>     documents with Org and would be nice to include.
>
>   - spellcheckers like hunspell and maybe aspell would be really, really
>     nice to have!  It’s admittedly a very soft dependency, but at least when
>     you rely on Windows IT Admins, they get a bit confused when you first
>     send them to the hunspell github page, only to tell them that the binary
>     version can be gotten from Eli’s Sourceforge page...

Hmmm. It's a good question. I mean, it's trivial to do, but there are
two ways of looking at it.

Currently, these files contain the build dependencies and all their
dependencies. This, admittedly, turns out to be a pretty large
collection of things, but still it falls short of a full msys
install. So, one argument says we should keep to this.

The other argument says, we should add stuff which is directly used by
Emacs, and accept the fact, that we might end up with the best part of
msys.

Or we sit in the middle and install on a case-by-case basis.

I'd be inclined to do with the latter one, with the knowledge that it
might end up being two unwieldly.

Thoughts from anyone else?

Phil