Re: Floating-point constant folding in Emacs byte compiler

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Floating-point constant folding in Emacs byte compiler
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 11:24:35 +0300

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 22:22:25 -0700
>
> Nowadays Emacs hosts almost invariably use IEEE floating point, and I suppose
> we
> could hardwire that assumption into Emacs. Even so, IEEE floating-point is
> not
> bit-for-bit identical on all platforms, so if we're constant-folding
> floating-point expressions surely we should at least document that we're
> doing
> so, so that programmers know that they can't rely on constant expressions
> yielding a different value than what run-time evaluation would deliver.

I think we should strive to leave the byte code platform-independent.
If nothing else, it will make sure the *.elc files in a release
tarball can be used on all supported platforms with identical
results.  Otherwise, we will need to byte-compile files at build time,
something that will make the build much longer than it should be.