Re: Using Org as the source format to generate org.texi

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Using Org as the source format to generate org.texi
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 17:42:16 +0100

Hello,

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> As I wrote elsewhere, we need to be able to use @key without losing
> it, at least outside @kbd.

I may have missed the "elsewhere".

Is there any difference between @address@hidden and @key{...}? If so, is
there any use of the former? If any question has a negative answer, then
all is good. Org can produce the former but could has well generate the
latter in this special case.

If both have a positive answer, we can generate automatically the most
common one and let users write a macro for the other case. This
situation is probably sufficiently rare it isn't much of a problem
anyway.

>> At one point, I suggested to make the "kbd" macro readily available for
>> every export back-end. As such, the would be no need to define it in
>> each document making use of it. However there was little interest in the
>> Org ML. Also, there are some decisions to make. For example, the macro
>> needs to be useful in every format supported by Org, and there are
>> multiple ways to transcribe @address@hidden in LaTeX parlance. It is not
>> clear
>> which one we should use and how configurable it should be.
>
> How about using what texinfo.tex does?

My TeX is a bit rusty, but, AFAIU, it defines yet another way to handle
@address@hidden This is fine, but LaTeX also provides at least two packages
dealing with keys. I have no preference, but users may disagree about
which way is better as a default. Even if we stick with the
"texinfo.tex" way, we probably need to allow tweaking the LaTeX output
somehow.

> @dfn produces slanted typeface in printed output and “quoted” string
> in Info output.  I'd suggest that Org produces something similar.

Slated typeface is /.../ markup in Org, which becomes @emph{...} when
exported to Texinfo. I'm suggesting to use _..._ markup because it is
free and fall-backs somewhat gracefully when exported to something else
than Texinfo.

Org -> LaTeX and Org -> Texinfo -> LaTeX are going to produce different
results and there is little hope they can converge at some point.
I suggest to not bother too much about this.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738