Re: if-let/if-let*/and-let/..

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: if-let/if-let*/and-let/..
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2018 16:16:14 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like if we just
> un-obsolete foo-let, we'd have solved the urgent problem, is that
> right?  If not, what unsolved problems will this leave us with?

It would solve the most urgent problem (the warnings), yes, package
maintainers would be happy.

The downside of only de-obsoleting now is that in the subsequent
release, we would have to change the newly introduced foo-let* in a
backward-incompatible way for the single-binding-tuple special case.

This backward-incompatible change is necessary to make foo-let* aliases
of foo-let, which is our goal - foo-let has to support the
single-binding-tuple syntax because it supported it all the time.

We have to weigh what is worse: make the whole change now and make 26.1
introduce the new foo-let* as we want them to be, or release foo-let* as
is, with the need of a backward-incompatible change of foo-let* in 26.2
for the special case, which could then potentially break working code.

Michael.