Re: Variable-width font indentation (was: What improvements would be tru

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Variable-width font indentation (was: What improvements would be truly useful?)
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 15:55:25 -0500

  > > It means, for one thing, that M-q can fill text with a smooth
  > > right margin.
  > >
  > > Has that been implemented yet?

  > No, not yet.  But unless I'm missing something, doing that would be
  > relatively simple: we need a variant of justify-current-line which
  > will (a) compute the number of blanks as a float number, and (b) add a
  > 'display' property to each blank with an :align-to attribute computed
  > (in pixels) to produce the smooth right margin.

If it is that easy, it means that we already have done more
of this job than I thought we did.  That would be good news.

Would someone please implement this?  Whenever the buffer
has characters of different widths, it ought to fill them
with attention to their widths.

Once this is done, we can see what word-processing feature to add next.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.