Re: What improvements would be truly useful?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What improvements would be truly useful?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 18:52:21 +0200

> From: Daniele Nicolodi <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 23:32:28 -0700
>
> I'm far from being familiar with the Emacs codebase thus I may be
> reporting something that it is not completely true, however: Emacs was
> born as a console only application, the graphical user interface seems
> to be duct taped on.

I object to the "duct taped" derogation, and invite you to study the
relevant code before you form your opinions.  Besides, Emacs still
supports text-mode terminals, and moreover, supports text-mode and GUI
frames in the same session (a very important feature), so some degree
of compatibility to a console is still a requirement.

> Also, GTK support seems a bit of an hack that
> requires layering violations (reaching down to the X primitives) to
> work.  Being GTK the only modern toolkit supported on Linux (as far as I
> know) and the only way to get nartive Wayland support, some radical
> cleanup in that area would probably be a good thing.

It's true that GTK support was added in a not very clean way, but I
don't think we can throw away support for the other toolkits just yet,
because they are still being used.