Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 11:30:48 -0500

> That the dump-array proposal caps the size of the dump (which will
> probably break user redumping) and that strip(1) breaks the
> concatenation approach suggests that maybe the existing separate file
> option is right after all.

IIUC these options actually aren't mutually exclusive.
We can easily provide a single `(t)emacs` executable which at startup
will:
- look for a valid dump in the big static `dump` array.
- if not found look for a valid dump in a particular ELF section.
- if not found, look for a valid dump at the end of the `emacs` binary.
- if not found, look for a dump as a separate file at some standard
  location (starting with ~/.emacs.d/<magicid>.dump, say).
- as support a "--preload <foo>.dump" command-line option.

        Stefan