Any way to make sit-for avoid triggering redisplay in the general case?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Any way to make sit-for avoid triggering redisplay in the general case?
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 01:40:44 +0300

And not just "if input is available before it starts". Or is there a something I can call that would have a similar effect?

Effect like "wait until either a specified about of time passes, or the user types something, while allowing subprocess sentinels and filters to run, and hopefully timers as well, all without triggering redisplay".

company-mode has a flickering problem associated with asynchronous completion backends, and I have a seemingly easy solution in mind that turned out to depend on being able to do this.