Re: Emacs 26 MacOS bugs

From: Ben McGinnes
Subject: Re: Emacs 26 MacOS bugs
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 13:13:01 +1100

On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 08:33:31PM -0500, Noam Postavsky wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 7:43 PM, Ben McGinnes <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Sure, how many current OS X bugs have already been reported and which
> > ones are they?
>
> Approximately these ones:
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?include=subject%3Amacos;include=subject%3Aosx;package=emacs

Cheers.

>>  I also want to be sure I'm not simply duplicating existing
>> reported bugs.
>
> Too late! You already reported it by sending it here. ;)

Heh.  Of course ...

>>  Nor do I know how pressing the release date for version 26 is, if
>> it's even locked in at all.
>
> AFAIK, there's no firm date, but emacs-26 is in feature freeze and
> only taking very safe/urgent bug fixes. So it's possible these bugs
> won't be fixed until after 26.1

I think I could make a very convincing argument regarding the modifier
keys here being urgent.  If it was only rendering the hyper key
useless, then maybe you could argue it as not being urgent, but it's
not merely that ... any attempt to assign the hyper function to any
other key (e.g. right alt), just adds the hyper function instead of
replacing the previous function with that.  So if left alt is meta and
you set right alt as hyper, it just becomes a combined hyper-meta.
It's no longer possible to set the hyper key on its own.

Which means the code commentary about changing the nil to none for all
those ns modifier keys is, in fact, completely wrong.  You *do* want nil
there because if you're re-assigning the key to perform another task
you actually do want to clear the original setting out of it.

As for a stable fix, that's dead simple, roll back everything from the
2016 commit that was merged into master on the 5th and it's done.

Anyway, I've got to wander off to one of those other pressing things
and since it involves a wee small hospital visit, it takes priority.
I'll try to take another look at this beast a little later.

Regards,
Ben