Re: Emacs 26 MacOS bugs

From: Ben McGinnes
Subject: Re: Emacs 26 MacOS bugs
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 11:43:31 +1100

On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 05:50:18PM -0500, Noam Postavsky wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 5:27 PM, Ben McGinnes <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > It will build and it will load ... it'll even load enough of my init
> > to reach the theme at the end ... but I wouldn't exactly describe it
> > as functional.  What could be extracted from that is in the attached
> > org-file.  I was, however able to identify the bytecomp failure (which
> > was also what wreaked havoc on the ERC+ZNC connection infinite loop.
>
> You seem to be describing some different bugs from what is in the OP
> of this thread. I think you should open new bugs in the tracker for
> them (send email to address@hidden).
> (and please as much as possible, show how to replicate the bug
> starting from emacs -Q)

Sure, how many current OS X bugs have already been reported and which
ones are they?  I also want to be sure I'm not simply duplicating
existing reported bugs.

Oh, it might be worth mentioning that in spite of using Emacs for
years, I didn't get around to subscribing to this list and the orgmode
one until yesterday ... so I almost certainly won't have read back
through the archives enough to know how long or short the osx bug list
currently is.  Nor do I know how pressing the release date for version
26 is, if it's even locked in at all.

The build one I haven't properly replicated, the title one might be
related to what I saw with ERC+ZNC since it pertains to the
buffer-name, but it might be unrelated.

The ns-modifier conflicts and all the related aspects of that, if
there isn't a current bug then I can certainly provide all that and I
may as well test my proposed solution while I'm at it.  I do have a
rather hectic couple of days or so, it might get pushed back to the
weekend, but I'll see where I can squeeze it in.  At worst, though, my
bughunting efforts would only be delayed until early next week.

I have compiled the another copy with the src/nsterm.* and
lisp/cus-start.el copied from the working build from the 4th and
though I've got to do a thorough audit, it's looking like much OS X
pain lies pretty much exactly where I said.  The lisp/cus-start.el
file had the clues, but the majority of the butchery is in
src/nsterm.m.

I'll include diffs later, of course, but since this is likely
frustrating others who may not want to wait for my schedule to lighten
to get stuck into it; ad hoc info be here, proper bug report and
recommendations (or outright fixes) to be advised.

Regards,
Ben